Saturday, February 13, 2016 11:26 PM

QUICK-THINKING FIREFIGHTER SAVES CHOKING BOY’S LIFE

A Dalton mother said she is forever grateful for the man who saved her 2-year-old sons life after the toddler began choking on a pickle while watching a basketball game in January.

Mark Richardson, an engineer with the Dalton Fire Department, was at the Sonoraville Recreation Complex watching his daughter McKinleigh, a Coahulla Creek High School student, play basketball against Sonoraville.

We were sitting on the benches with our friends Kristina and Jess Langford and their baby Wyatt. He was eating a dill pickle and started choking, Richardson said.

Kristina Langford said she didnt even finish yelling Richardsons name before he had Wyatt in his arms.

I did about four or five back blows and dislodged the pickle, he said.

Richardson said two big chunks came out.

It happened really fast. You never know when something can happen, he said. The Lord put me there at the right time and place.

Langford said she thought her son was swallowing the pickles he had been eating.

I was pulling it apart, but he must have been holding them in his mouth, she said.

Lt. Josh Townsend has worked with Richardson for 15 years and said Richardson was just doing what hes been trained to do.

He stepped right up and ...

News source: Dalton Daily News

See also: Lyle Industries