One honeybee's stinger wound up in a pretty weird location: lodged in the back of a teen girl's throat, a recent report of the case reveals.
The 13-year-old was hanging out by a pool when an insect unexpectedly flew into her mouth. The girl started coughing immediately, and over the next few hours, she started to feel pain in her throat and right ear, and had difficulty swallowing, according to the case report.
Concerned about these symptoms, her parents took the girl to an ear, nose and throat specialist, where doctors used a device called a laryngoscope to examine the back of her throat, voice box and vocal cords.
It was during this exam that the doctors spotted the cause of the teen's problems: Ahoneybeestinger had pierced through a flap of cartilage at the back of the throat called the epiglottis and was embedded in the tissue. (The epiglottis blocks a person's breathing tube when he or she swallows.)
TEARS AS CONJOINED TWINS DIE DAY AFTER BIRTH
At the time of the incident, the girl only knew that an insect had flown into her mouth. It wasn't until the ...