Tuesday, May 02, 2017 12:45 AM


Standing before a federal judge more than a decade ago, Demetrus Coonrod knew she was about to lose everything - her job, her two youngest children, any hope at a career. U.S. District Judge Curtis Collier seemed to understand, too. "Young lady, I see so much more potential in you than going to prison," Coonrod recalled him saying. On that September day in 2003, Collier sentenced her to seven years for conspiracy to commit armed robberies. Before her 30th birthday, Coonrod was sent to Tallahassee, Fla., where she would be sexually assaulted by a corrections officer and only know her children through pictures and phone calls. Restoring citizenship rights If a person does find the money, they must contact the prosecutor on their case, attorney John Cavett said. "What you basically say is, I've been contacted by this person and they would like to have their rights restored.' I've been doing this for years, state and federal," Cavett said. "I've yet to have any prosecutor object to it." A person must also attach two affidavits from neighbors of the court - a probation officer, for example - and any proof that shows a reformed life. "A convicted felon can get ...

News source: Times Free Press

See also: Davis & Hoss